Ryanair Cabin Baggage Allowance 2014
Ryanair actually offer a decent hand luggage allowance offering up to 2 bags for free although you still have to be careful because they they are strictly enforced.
There is also a 10kg weight limit for hand luggage. Ryanair do charge for hold luggage so making the most of the free Ryanair hand luggage allowance can save you significant baggage fees.
Ryanair Cabin Baggage Limits
[alert-note] TIP: Use luggage scales of your bag before you get to the airport to weigh your bag and make sure it is less than 9.5 kg (including the bag) to be completely safe. [/alert-note]
- You are allowed two pieces of cabin baggage per passenger and this also excludes infants.
- Maximum sizes of the cabin bags is 55cm x 40cm x 20cm and one smaller handbag at 35 x 20 x 20 cm. This is the very maximum and Ryanair have a no exceptions attitude to this.
- There is a maximum weight limit of 10 kg for the main cabin bag and no limit for the smaller one but be reasonable.
- You must follow the standard liquid restrictions for hand luggage – find out how to beat the liquid rules.
- There is no need to check a bag which is quite expensive – see our guide about how to pack light. Travelling with just hand luggage is easier than you think.
- TIP Remember to pre-book your airport parking to save money and time on the day of your flight. This respected company compare the options for you and make it easy.
Top Tip – Get Luggage Scales – Save Money By Avoiding the £30 Weight Limit Penalty
You can buy luggage scales for about £5 online and they will help you avoid w the £30 penalty each way for breaking the Ryanair hand luggage weight limit of 10kg. Popular Luggage Scales on Amazon – See Reviews.
A good idea to pack it for the return journey too.
The new upgrade to the cabin baggage allowance for Ryanair along with other measures to improve customer service and satisfaction means you are now allowed:
- To take 2 cabin bags on board per passenger
- 1 up to a maximum of 55 x 40 x 20 cm with a weight limit of 10 kg.
- AND you are now allowed one small bag like a handbag with maximum dimensions of 35 x 20 x 20 cms.
While I tend to recommend the approach less is more in terms of baggage this is a very good move and will help more people travel with just free hand luggage saving money and hassle at the airport.
Recommended Ryanair Cabin Bag
My current recommendation is the Cabin Max Frankfurt Messenger 50x34x20cm. It fits the Ryanair cabin bag allowance, has a separate laptop compartment and is a decent, sturdy and lightweight bag. Click to see the 4.5 star reviews, product info and current price. Or check out my detailed review of this messenger bag. It is also very inexpensive and LESS THAN the HOLD LUGGAGE FEE on each flight.
Ryanair Excess Baggage Penalty – Ryanair Excess Hand Luggage Fine
This Ryanair excess baggage fee has been cut to a much fairer £30 but it shows it still pays to follow the rules and it will still be very annoying and stressful to have to pay a fine which is easily avoidable.
BONUS TIP Make sure you spend abroad in the most cost effective way – detailed guide to the best credit cards, prepaid cards and the best bureau de changes to boost your spending money for free.
Ryanair Hand Luggage Rules Summary
To summarise, now two pieces the main bag up to 55 x 40 x 20cm, up to a weight limit of 10kg and a smaller bag up to 35 x 20 x 20 cmas cabin baggage on Ryanair flights, or you will exceed the Ryanair cabin baggage limits.
I also always advice you to check the official Ryanair website for the latest rules in case they change and am happy to be corrected and answer your questions but please bear in mind I am not the official website just a useful guy trying to help!
If you found it useful please share it so others learn how to travel smarter and avoid ruining their trip by breaking the rules for Ryanair. Thanks!